Monday, January 14, 2013

I can say now that I kind of got lost

Hola

On Saturday I went to San Jose with 3 other LASP students (Spencer, Connor, and Jessica). We met up and took a bus there and spent a good amount of time walking around. Eventually we took a taxi to the mall at San Pedro where we walked around more. I've never been one that enjoys walking around the mall... in fact, I've probably done it less than 5 times in my life... the mall was a little more interesting than an American mall but my companions did spend a good 25 minutes in the book store looking at books. I wasn't really very into that but it wasn't THAT bad :p. Because of the way the busses work, we had to take a bus back to San Jose in order to get a bus back to our houses... so we did that... and Spencer, Jessica, and I just so happened to get on the wrong bus. The bus we wanted was Guadalupe de Carmen.. we got on Guadalupe de something else.. So we got to the end of the bus route, Spencer talked with the bus driver a bit and then we got on the bus that was waiting to go back the way we just came. Spencer also talked with this new bus driver and the driver waited for about 10 minutes before it seemed like he should start the route. As we were going back the way we came from, I was starting to get really anxious and just wanted to get off and take a taxi (which are more expensive, but travel all around). After standing up awkwardly to get off and the bus driver telling us to wait because we weren't where we needed to get off yet, we finally got off. Across the 2 lane road was the bus we were supposed to have taken (Guadalupe de Carmen), and despite the fact that we were now dead set on taking a taxi the rest of the way, the bus driver was trying to honk and get the other buss' attention. Super awkward as we just kind of shook our heads and went our way.. Not to mention EVERYONE on the bus starring at us as we walked away... such gringos :(...

We got in a taxi and gave him the address and he was able to find where we needed to go... so it all worked out.

On Sunday I went to Catholic mass with my mother and grandmother. They had a bulletin so I was actually able to understand a big chunk of what was being said (just listening is way more difficult). Afterwards I pretty much stayed home all day.. I kind of had a headache and homework to do so I didn't feel much for walking around or whatever options I had.

Today we went to LASP at the normal time (8:00) and had our Core Semester class (after this week it is just Tuesday/Thursday). We talked about colonialism and it's affects on Latin America- some of the required reading that we had over the weekend explained Christopher Columbus' true attitude and the genocide that he was responsible for. We also had a small group time to talk about how we are doing in a more intimate setting... it was good and I think I'll actually look forward to that time every week. Although normally it's on a different day I think?? Idk..

After LASP, we walked as a group to the Spanish Language place (called ICADS - Institude for Central American Development Studies) and got put into our language groups. My teacher is Gustavo (the only guy teaching there) and I have two other students with me (Maria and Jenna). It seems like ICADS is going to be an incredible help for my Spanish. We have a small project due on Friday where we have to give a presentation on our host family's family tree... should be pretty stress-free since I'll only presenting for my teacher and 2 classmates.

The walk there was pretty dang long (45~ minutes), especially in Costa Rican sun and 80 degree weather while wearing jeans... but who am I to complain- at least there isn't snow and brutal Marion Indiana winds biting at my entire self! Heh!!! On the way back, a group of about 12 of us tried to navigate our way back the way we came... we successfully made it back (somehow?) without getting lost at all and the weather was much cooler and the sun was not glaring down on us.. so it was pretty cool. I think the walk there and back every day will honestly be some awesome bonding time with whatever students I end up going there with.

I haven't eaten yet tonight, but I hear Alba preparing it right now. So far, the food has all been really great. Alba is an awesome cook and just yesterday she made some sort of "orange jam" (a marmalada I think) and I had it on my toast this morning- it was legitly really good. I've been eating any food that I've been given, even if I normally wouldn't (raw tomatoes especially..) and I think I'm going to start drinking the coffee black- hopefully in a few weeks I will be able to finally be weened away from needing sugar and creamer/milk in my coffee.

Well, I've successfully written a novel... if you have any particular questions feel free to ask! Thanks

2 comments:

  1. Dude I started drinking my coffee black when I was there too and that's also where I started to like tomatoes haha...did u go to the mall with the movie theater on the top floor? They have caramel and butter popcorn mix that's real good fyi ha...I like reading about your experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm. Are you going to see any Volcanoes while you're there? and also, any way you can snap photos and include one/two in here for us to see? I'm just from 'merica and I have no global outlook (that's probably the furthest thing from the truth but I want photos!)

    ReplyDelete